Friday, March 5, 2010

Pipe Creek Yacht Club

Yes, we are now members of the rag-tag, unofficial Pipe Creek Yacht Club.  A very loose organization of veteran cruisers that make Pipe Creek(not really a "creek" but more of a channel that cuts between Rat Cay, Pipe Cay, Little Pipe Cand Thomas Cay).  It is a great place to weather fronts, which is what we have been doing for the past week.  It is amazing how you meet great folks and how they come in and out of your life at various times while cruising.  To make a long story short, our Savannah friends John and Kathy on Miss Alice, introduced us to Al and Ann on Calypso Poet who live aboard in Ft Lauderdale and Al works at the West Marine there(he helped me with my batteries replacement).  Al and Ann take a few months each year and come to the Bahamas and Pipe Creek is their hangout.  He and several other regulars have spent so much time her over the years that they started the unofficial "PCYC", to which they granted Carryn and I "membership" to this year since we hung out with them for over a week. 

It has been al long week at that.  We dove and hunted as much as we could, but on Tuesday, a big front blew in and we sat through 36 hours of 25-30 knot winds.  By Thursday, winds were still 15-20 out of the NW and we were pinned down.  fortunately, our ground tackle was in solid and we stayed on the boat and coped.  Finally, this morning the winds lightened up and we are forecast for several days of light N winds.  Chris Parker said we may even have up to a week of settled weather!  So we are on the move.  We pulled anchor this morning at 9 and threaded our way back out of the anchorage.  We are headed to Staniel Cay for a quick trip to Isles General Store(the mail boat came in this morning and brought some fresh stuff).  We'll then head for Black Point for a quick trip into Lorraines for some home-made bread.  Then probably anchor south of Great Guana Cay for tonight(Fri).  Saturday we'll get to Little Farmer's Cay for a stay Sat night.  Then we'll go on the outside(the sound) to make the 35 mile run to Elizabeth Harbor to hang out in George Town for a while.  Carryn has been on me to prepare blogs so when we got an internet connection, I could just load them up.  But I didn't listen and obey, so I don't have alot of details about what we have been up to this past week.  Instead, I'll post a few pics.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi you guys....

I am just back from Guadalajara this week on business. Este ciudad muy bonita y las personas muy simpatica.

Tonight was the 17 year reunion of the day GasMark filed for bankruptcy...it was great to see so many wonderful friends I have not seen in such a long time, and those I have stayed in touch with over the years. Lisa, Doug and Gretchen send their love.

Tom's 1st cousin and his wife are driving through and staying with us this Sunday. We have not seen Don is over 25 years, and I have never met his wife. It should be fun. The academy awards are Sunday...and I never miss it so I hope his wife loves watching it.

I have a one week break at home, and then I am off for the week of St. Pat's and Lisa's birthday for Palo Alto for next business trip. Brandon you have b'day coming up don't ya?

Guinney is having some issues and the dr does not know what's up. We hope they can figure it out soon. Taylor is on field trip for ROTC and getting home late tonight.

I need to call Meg and touch base. All is well with Dad, Lisa and crew. Jay, Tom and Dan took Jay's new fishing boat out today--they had some fun and caught some flounder.

I miss you guys, but so happy to know you have such good friends to hang out with---and are safe--enjoying your adventures. I know Dad is coming to see you--that's great.

We loved the Valentine's Day card---it's hard when things are "one way" as we don't where/when to send you anything. Just know you are always in our thoughts...

Love, Lynn

Denise Spain said...

Hey Carryn & Brandon!!!

I have sat here for an hour or so reading your blogs... I am sooo enjoying the writing and the adventures! It's like a great book that you just can't put down!

What a dream. Brandon... you should publish a book! or hook up on a site that pays you to blog (the more readers, the more you get paid!)

I better get back to my resume! Our company laid off 2/3 of the staff, we all took 15% pay cuts and I am hoping to get out of there by June 4th (my own deadline). The kids are all on Facebook... not sure if you can get to that or not, but they have lots of pictures! I haven't seen "my" camera for a couple of years now.

I love you! and really hope that I'll be able to visit you all sometime .. maybe next year.

Take care of all of you!
Denise

WS said...

Hey guys, we are loving tagging along with you on your journey. Isn't it amazing how God will put just the right person in your life at just the right time? Take some pics, Happy Birthday Brandon!
I agree with Carryn, type your blog, save it then post it when you get to a computer cafe. Love you guys, be safe. God speed and safe sailing.

Lynn said...

Hi there...so sorry we lost our phone connection. I love the pictures you posted.

That starfish is HUGE.

Much love, Lynn

Ellen Westbrock said...

That starfish is amazing!! Looks like a toy, actually.
Glad to hear you have sailing mates along the way.
We're fine here. Finally starting to warm up a bit-soo ready for spring.
Keep the blog going and take care WyRocks!
Miss you.